School meals are provided free of charge to children who are entitled to Free School Meals and all infant children (Reception, Year 1 and Year 2) pursuant to the Universal Free School Meals grant. From September 2023, paid meals will be charged at £2.47 a day.
The school office must be notified with 2 weeks' notice when a child would like to start or stop having school meals. Meals can be paid for online and can be paid weekly, monthly or termly. We ask that school meals arrears do not exceed 2 weeks. Meals are not charged on days when a child is absent.
Free School Meals
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Why should I apply?
- Shopping Vouchers in the School Holidays - Currently, the Local Authority are providing shopping vouchers to families each school holiday. Eligible families receive £20 per week, per child, to be used at supermarkets such as Aldi, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
- Extra funding for school - You may not be aware that claiming free school meals also helps school, as we receive additional pupil premium funding. This funding is spent to increase staffing levels, purchase resources and provide extracurricular activities for our pupils.
- My child already receives Universal Infant Free School Meals or is on Packed Lunches - Even if your child currently receives Universal Free School Meals in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, by applying for the funding you will still receive the shopping vouchers during the school holidays and school will receive additional funding. Your child does not have to go onto School Meals and can still have a packed lunch if they prefer.
- Your child will remain eligible for 6 years - If your child is eligible for free school meals, they currently remain eligible until they leave primary school. Which means, that if your circumstances change in the future, they will still receive a free school meal.
How do I apply?
You can check if your child is eligible using the following link Free school meals and help with school uniform – Bolton Council. If you would like support to check please call into the school office and we will be happy to assist you. You are more than welcome to arrange to come into school and we can help complete the form with you.